Born in Denmark, Hans B. Larsen, along with his two brothers, arrived in Manistee in the mid-1860s. About 1874, the three Larsen brothers opened a small store in Manistee dealing in second-hand goods. Through careful business management the store continued to expand. By 1880, Hans had moved into a new store on River Street where he would continue selling dry goods and clothes for over 35 years.
This two and one half story home is built in the Colonial Revival Style. In 1902, construction commenced on this home and by the following year, Larsen and his family had moved in.