CONSTRUCTED: Circa late 1870s
This building was built by Lucas and Nungessor and is one of the oldest buildings in Manistee. The original structure was 48 x 70 feet and three stories tall. It housed the Lucas and Nungessor furniture business, a drug store, and several offices. In the late 1870s River St. was graded, leaving the front entrance to the building four feet above the ground.Stairs were used to reach the front door until the spring of 1883.
At this time 268 screw jacks were placed under the building and it was lowered down onto its new foundation. All of the offices were left intact during the lowering and nothing moved from its place. Not even the glass windows were disturbed; incredibly, since they measured 36 x 52 inches, the largest panes in town.