This home was built in 1881-82 by prominent Manistee lawyer, Andrew (A.J.) Dovel. With a keen interest in political matters, Dovel served as city mayor, county prosecutor and in the state legislature.
In 1881, A.J. commenced construction on what was to be this large home at 421 First Street. When the house was first being built Dovel told the local newspaper that he was going to be putting up, “a kind of a shanty.”
However, as the newspaper noticed the amount of stone that was ordered for the foundation, they changed the description to, “a kind of elegant shanty.”
Dovel partnered for several years with R.W. Smith, son-in-law of local lumberman Louis Sands, to form a law firm. By the early 1900s, Smith exited the partnership and Dovel went into business with his son Charles, forming the partnership of Dovel and Dovel.