ARCHITECT: Maxted & Newcombe
This beautiful brick “lakeshore cottage” was built in 1884 for lumberman, L.M. Haines by local contractors Maxted and Newcombe. Newspapers of the time described the home as being an ornament to that portion of the city.
Haines sold the home in 1890 to Anna Douglas whose husband, William Douglas was a logging contractor and a member of the firm Buckley and Douglas, one of the most successful lumbering concerns in the region, as well as the Manistee & Northeastern Railroad.
After William passed away, his wife Anna remained in the home until her death in 1932.