CONSTRUCTED: 1883 & 1886
Dedicated as the Russell Memorial Building, this structure remains as it was in 1905. The A.H. Lyman Drug Co. was the consolidation of three of Manistee’s early drug companies, moved to 427 River Street in 1885. The Lyman Co. was the largest drug company north of Grand Rapids by 1890. In 1892 the store expanded and took over 425 River and included a school book department. The business continued at this location after the death of Lyman in 1896 under a corporation of employees headed by F.W. White.
The pharmacy portion of the store closed when Mr. White died in 1952. The school book department continued until 1957. In 1961 the White family gave the building to the museum. A special pharmacy exhibit is kept in remembrance of the store’s earlier history. Museum displays include the Lyman Drug Store, period rooms, and one of the most extensive collections of Victorian antiques and photographs in the state.
ADMISSION: $1 Students | $3 Adults | $8 Families