ARCHITECT: Sydney O. Osgood
The Unitarian Society began to hold services in Manistee beginning in 1884. The first services of the Society were held in number of different buildings in Manistee, including the old Women's Christian Temperance Union Hall, later occupied by the Olympian club.
It was during the tenure of Rev. Albert Wakley that the plan to erect a church building for the use of the society was inaugurated.
Architect Sydney H. Osgood, a prominent Grand Rapids architect, designed the church and well-known local builders, Maxted & Newcombe, built the church throughout 1886. Stone from Sturgeon Bay was shipped across Lake Michigan for construction of the church.
The building, featuring Romanesque architecture with Moorish influence, was completed at a total cost of $13,466.30. Major contributions for its construction came from local businessmen Simeon Babcock and T. J. Ramsdell.
The Unitarian Church Society assembled for the first service in December of 1886. At the time, the Society occupied one of the most beautiful church edifices in the city, situated on the corner of Fifth and Pine streets, in the center of the best residential portion of Manistee.
The church was later sold by the Christian Scientists and purchased by the First Baptist Church, who dedicated it in September of 1955.
Today the church is home by the New Life Tabernacle of Manistee.