ARCHITECT: Richard Upjohn
The Episcopal church in Manistee formally dates from 1869, when articles of agreement for a proposed parish were signed.
The congregation was officially organized in March of 1888. Lots for the church were purchased on Second Street shortly thereafter. The cornerstone for the Church of the Holy Trinity was laid in October 1888 and the first services were held in the church on December 16, 1888. This building, one of the few hand-hewn stone churches in the area, was designed by architect Richard Upjohn and constructed in the style of an English country church of Norman design. A rectory, housing for the priest and family, was built next to the church in 1890.
A disastrous fire swept through the church in 1909 destroying the interior. Repairs were accomplished quickly and six months later the church had been repaired and consecrated. The beautiful woodwork of the ceiling dates from this renovation and was the work of local carpenter.
In the fall of 1929 faulty wiring in the organ caused another fire in the church. This fire damaged the organ, the chancel, the chapel and the Guild Room.
In the late 70s, the 22-rank organ underwent an extensive, 2 year, renovation. Some portions of the instrument are from rare and early organs and are irreplaceable today. According to music experts, Holy Trinity’s organ is considered one of the finest in the area.
Holy Trinity was placed on the Michigan Register of Historic Sites in 1981.